History
Mill operations since 1399
Over six hundred years of history along the Kolbäcksån River, from the medieval mills to today’s Westerqwarn on the Strömsholm Canal.
Over six hundred years of history along the Kolbäcksån River, from the medieval mills to today’s Westerqwarn on the Strömsholm Canal.
There is a mill by the rapids in Kolbäck, and it has stood here longer than almost anything else in the area. As early as 1399, the water was already powering a mill at this site. Then the Crown took over; for generations, people carried 100-kilogram sacks up the slope, and in 1974, the last batch of flour passed through the millstones. After that, it took two people to keep the mill alive.
Kvarnplatsen and the Crown
Gustav Vasa took over the mill in 1557; by then, milling operations had been carried out here for over 150 years
The Building
The current mill building was constructed between 1867 and 1870
The Waterwheel and the Power Plant
The waterwheel stopped running in 1915, and electricity took over
The Last of the Flour
The mill ground its last batch of flour in 1974
Sigvard Eriksson
Sigvard Eriksson bought the mill in 1986 and breathed new life into it
The Generational Shift
Joakim Graning took over the management of Westerqwarn on October 1, 2017
The Wood-Burning Oven
The wood-burning stove was lit in 2020 and hasn't gone cold since then
The Museum Floor
The millstones are still there, one flight of stairs up in the house
Frequently Asked Questions
Six hundred years is hard to grasp just by reading about it
Come by sometime, go up one flight of stairs, and check out the history before your food arrives.